4. Alpha Natural Resources (ANR - Get Report) is a supplier and exporter of metallurgical coal used in steel making and thermal coal to electric utilities and manufacturing industries in the U.S. It has coal production capacity of greater than 90 million tons a year.
In January, Alpha Natural announced it would acquire Massey Energy, a coal producer with operations in Virginia, West Virginia, and Kentucky for a total consideration of $8.2 billion in a stock and cash deal, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. Under the agreement, MEE stockholders were to receive 1.025 shares of Alpha common stock and $10.00 in cash for each share of Massey common stock they owned.At the time, the offer represented a 21% premium to Massey's share price. Massey's revenue from the merger date included in the condensed consolidated statements of income was $811.4 million and $1.14 billion for the three-month period and nine-month period ended September 2011, respectively. Of the 27 analysts covering the stock, 70% rate Alpha a buy. On average, analysts polled by Bloomberg expect the stock to gain an average of 74.5% to $36.17 in the coming 12 months.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts