These companies have made a lot of money for investment bankers, a lot of money for executives through stock options, and a lot of money for the hedge funds and other shorters smart enough to see through the rhetoric and markets' disconnect and play these stocks as nothing more than convenient fast money vehicles, and ride these stocks like First Solar and Cree (CREE) all the way down in 2011.
The returns paint
As solar analyst Paul Leming of Ticonderoga Securities, who has been in it from the beginning, recently said, "The volatility in this space has been amazing -- and I'd never bet against
I hope not, but I don't doubt it, and the point is, social good alone does not make for a viable business, even if it makes for a darn good trading strategy. For investors, if you've been burned, try to remember that feeling good about green energy can still make you feel very nauseous when monitoring your portfolio.Though forget about stock market investors. The larger queasiness is knowing that all of these tired arguments about the energy wars will be dusted off once again in 2012, and there's nothing anything anyone can do about it, except ignore them. -- Written by Eric Rosenbaum in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Eric Rosenbaum. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Eric Rosenbaum. Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook. To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV