5. Whole Foods Market (WFM) is a natural and organic foods supermarket with more than 311 stores in North America and the U.K.
The company recorded year-to-date return of 36.3%. During the year, earnings per share grew 35.2%, while book value per share increased by 21.2%, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. During fiscal 2011, sales increased 12.2% over the prior year. Income available to common shareholders increased 42.5%, while diluted earnings per share were up 35% over the prior year.
For the fourth quarter 2011, the company reported total sales at $2.35 billion, up 12.4% from $2.09 billion in the same quarter 2010. Net income for the quarter stood at $75.4 million, improving 31.1% from $57.5 million in the prior-year quarter. Diluted net earnings per share grew to 42 cents from 33 cents per common share. Recently, the company paid a quarterly dividend of 16.25 cents per share and has declared a quarterly dividend of 10 cents per share payable Jan. 24, 2012 to shareholders of record Jan. 13.
During the year, WFM opened 18 new stores and one-stop stores for all kosher items during the holiday season. The company has announced it will unveil a new store in central London's busy Soho area in 2012.Of the 25 analysts covering the stock, 56% recommend a buy and 40% rate a hold. Analysts polled by Bloomberg foresee the stock gaining an average 11.7% to $77.00 in the next 12 months.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV