NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Net on the year, the Dow Jones Industrial Average (I:DJI) returned 6.2%, the S&P 500 (SPX) returned 0.6%, and the Nasdaq (COMPX) closed negative 1.0%. Relative to the broader indices, these six stocks posted impressive returns and are likely to return stronger gains in 2012.
The stocks identified have a minimum of $5 billion market cap and belong to sectors such as food retail, cable and satellite TV and consumer goods. According to data from Bloomberg, the upside range is 11% to 90%, while average buy recommendation and hold guidance for these stocks is 64% and 31%, respectively.
The six stocks are listed in ascending order of upside potential.
6. Estee Lauder Companies (EL) is a manufacturer and marketer of quality skin care, makeup, fragrance and hair care products that are sold in 150 countries and territories. It is also the global licensee for fragrance and cosmetics. For fiscal year ended June 30, EL acquired the license to develop Ermenegildo Zegna products.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV