BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- It's been a tough year for stocks. As I write, the S&P 500 and the Dow are barely breaking even in 2011 with just three trading sessions to go for the year. It should come as no surprise, then, that investors are paying more attention to commodities in this market.
More and more, retail investors are realizing that buying "the stock market" isn't their only option to grow a portfolio. With asset classes ranging from fixed income and money markets to real estate and commodities, there are many alternatives to stocks out there that can offer equity-like returns with limited correlations to equity indices. Gold and oil provided one of the most salient examples of that fact back in 2007 when both commodities rallied dramatically as the floor was just starting to fall out from stocks.
With the growing popularity of exchange traded funds, it's easier than ever to get exposure to scores of different commodity markets. With that in mind, we'll take a look at promising tech setups forming in the most significant commodity markets right now.For the unfamiliar, technical analysis is a way for investors to quantify qualitative factors, such as investor psychology, based on a stock's price action and trends. Once the domain of cloistered trading teams on Wall Street, technicals can help top traders make consistently profitable trades and can aid fundamental investors in better planning their stock execution.
2012 Stock Predictions and Outlook
|Your one-stop shop for 2012 stock recommendations and market predictions.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV