NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ Billionaire investor Carl Icahn said he will drop his takeover fight for Commercial Metals Co. if his tender offer fails.
Icahn Enterprises Holdings L.P. sent a letter to Commercial Metals shareholders Tuesday that said Icahn will drop his proxy fight to buy the company if at least 40.1 percent of shares are not tendered in Icahn's offer.
The metal company has said that the $15-per-share tender offer, which values the Irving, Texas, company at about $1.73 billion, is a bad deal for shareholders, and its own strategic plan will deliver better value. Its board last week recommended that shareholders reject Icahn's offer, which he launched on Dec. 9.
Icahn, known for buying and shaking up struggling companies with mixed success, already owns almost 10 percent of Commercial Metals. If 40.1 percent or more of shares are tendered, Icahn said he believes that "even this board will capitulate to the wishes of a large majority of their shareholders," according to the letter. He said if the board fights a successful tender offer, he will take it to court."We wish to state plainly again, that our goal is to acquire the company or to see it sold," the letter said. Commercial Metals, based in Irving, Texas, manufactures, recycles and markets steel and metal products, among other materials. It has posted an annual net loss in the past two years. Icahn wants to combine Commercial Metals with his existing metals recycling businesses and sell off the rest of its assets, refocusing on its core North American operations. But Icahn said that after meeting with Commercial Metals' management, he does "not wish to remain a minority holder in a company run by the current board" if the tender offer fails. Shares of Commercial Metals dropped 23 cents, or 1.6 percent, to $13.93 in afternoon trading. The stock has traded between $8.64 and $18.20 over the last year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV