Oil Heading Higher in 2012
These are the beginnings of a concerted supply squeeze. If you add any disruptions in 2012, either from Iranian sabre-rattling in the Straits of Hormuz, from a collapse of a newly U.S.-free Iraqi infrastructure, from a hiccup from newly instituted Libyan oil company, or from a host of other issues neither you or I could possibly plan on and you've got a streaking price for oil -- perhaps approaching the all-time highs we saw in 2008 of $147 a barrel.
There will be further upwards price pressure from investors looking to cycle back into commodities, and particularly oil after the start of the New Year. Outflows have been the theme of the last two quarters, both in equities as well as commodities. But as confidence in the markets continues to increase, so will the risk appetites of investors. I expect a good portion of that appetite to turn to oil.
There are lots of ways to play this, but perhaps the simplest is with the two largest energy ETF's, the Energy Select Sector SPDR ETF (XLE) and the Market Vectors Oil Services ETF (OIH). Both of these provide super liquid and sector wide exposure to both mega cap energy companies and oil services companies. Both sectors will greatly benefit and rally strongly as oil begins to.
2012 looks to be another strong year for energy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV