According to unidentified sources cited by AllThingsD, Yahoo!'s board has approved continuing the negotiations to sell back its 35% stake in Yahoo! Japan to Softbank, and to sell back the majority of its 40% stake in Alibaba Group. The agreement could take six to eight weeks to finalize, the sources said.
The deal values Yahoo's stake in both companies at $17 billion to $18 billion, the report said. The current market cap of Yahoo! is slightly over $20 billion.Yahoo! has been trying to unlock the value in these stakes, and divesting them as part of a cash-rich split appears to be the best option. Yahoo! shares are off 2.3% year-to-date. In addition, Yahoo!'s board still wants to keep the bids from private equity firms Silver Lake Partners and TPG Capital alive. Blackstone (BX) has also been rumored to be interested in purchasing Yahoo!'s U.S. operations. Silver Lake reportedly has reportedly made an offer of $16.60 per share for a minority stake in Yahoo. Representatives from Yahoo!, Alibaba, Silver Lake, and TPG could not be immediately reached for comment. Shares of Yahoo! were higher after the report, up 1.25% to $16.20 in afternoon action.
Interested in more on Yahoo!? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/commodity_bull. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV