Live Nation Entertainment
Live Nation Entertainment (LYV) is involved in the promotion of live concerts, operates concert venues and sells tickets. Live Nation has lost money in 13 of the last 23 quarters and is expected to do so in the current quarter. The company seems to fare well only in fair-weather months. Has it heard about indoor arenas?
This is a very tough business, which is increasingly finding that live entertainment is more costly to operate, too expensive for consumers and has to contend with competition from modern digital technology and a operate in a less than robust economy. Consumers with the most purchasing power tend to be the baby boomers who seek out concerts to hear their favorite singers or bands from their youth but unfortunately those opportunities are diminishing over time. They would rather stay home and watch a concert on their 60 inch flat panel TV.One big bet on Live Nation comes from Chase Coleman's Tiger Global Management, which increased its position in the stock by 31% to 15.7 million shares in the third quarter. Cadence Pharmaceuticals Cadence Pharmaceuticals (CADX) develops and markets an intravenous form of acetaminophen or APAP. Over the years, many companies have come and gone with the promise of developing and selling the next great painkiller. A hot stock several years ago was Penwest Pharmaceuticals, which never delivered to shareholders and wound up being purchased by Endo Pharmaceuticals (ENDP). Cadence has virtually no revenue and has lost money for years. I do not see how this company will succeed where others have not. About the only positive is that Cadence has some cash on its balance sheet, but I am not certain that will last long as cash burn is very high. In fact, just last month, Cadence had to sell more stock in order to raise cash.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV