The Federal Communication Commission approved the 700 MHz spectrum sale, but this only alleviates issues in the medium-term, wrote Piper Jaffray analyst Christopher Larsen in a research report. Larsen rates AT&T overweight with a $34 price target.
Michael Hodel of Morningstar said the deal still leaves AT&T behind Verizon Wireless (VZ) in the 700 MHz band in most markets.
Stifel Nicolaus analyst Christopher King said AT&T may look at acquiring Dish Network (DISH) to help it beef up its spectrum."Dish has expressed interest in combining with T-Mobile, and AT&T could look at acquiring Dish, with spectrum a key consideration," King wrote in his research note. He rates shares of AT&T buy with a $32.50 price target. "White space radio" may be a solution for the spectrum problems. Once used for analog TV, the spectrum could be used to clear up congestion issues. Independent local TV stations in large urban areas such as New York may benefit if they are given the opportunity to sell their airwaves as part of the auction. Wireless companies such as AT&T could pay handsomely for the rights. Ben Abramovitz of Kaufman Bros. said it's too early to tell whether the FCC would auction the white services in 2012, although it has been talked about.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV