Mr. Barenbaum continued, “We announced last week that Joel Waller, a retail veteran with a strong industry background, joined us as President. While I am confident he will add value in all aspects of our business, his primary focus will be on product development, sourcing and merchandising. Joel and I are committed to revitalizing the business and getting the Company back on track to profitability.”
Results for the Nine Months Ended November 26, 2011
- Net sales were $344.0 million, as compared to $348.5 million for the nine months ended November 27, 2011. Same store sales declined 3% in the first nine months of fiscal 2012.
- Operating loss totaled $39.2 million, or 11.4% of net sales. This compares to operating income of $6.0 million, or 1.7% of net sales, for the comparable nine month period last year. Operating loss for the first nine months of fiscal 2012 includes the aforementioned asset impairment and restructuring charges.
- Net loss totaled $39.3 million, or $1.11 per share, which includes $12.2 million, or $0.34 per share, of restructuring and estimated asset impairment charges. This compares to a net loss of $5.4 million, or $0.15 per diluted share, for the first nine months of fiscal 2011, which included severance charges of approximately $0.03 per share and a non-cash charge of $0.36 per share related to the valuation allowance on deferred tax assets referenced above.
Asset Impairment and Restructuring Charges
On November 11, 2011, the Company announced its plans to close approximately 100 stores, most of which are underperforming. A majority of the stores are planned to close by January 2012. In the third quarter, the Company recorded an estimated non-cash asset impairment charge of $11.4 million related to the closing stores and to stores it plans to continue to operate and which are targeted for rent renegotiation. The Company also recorded approximately $0.8 million of severance charges in the third quarter related to closing stores and an October reduction in force.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV