Christopher & Banks Corporation (NYSE: CBK), a specialty women’s apparel retailer, today reported results for the third fiscal quarter and nine month period ended November 26, 2011.
Results for the Three Months Ended November 26, 2011
- Net sales for the third quarter were $123.9 million, as compared to $120.9 million for the third quarter of fiscal 2011. Same store sales were essentially flat for the quarter.
- Gross profit was $26.8 million, as compared to $43.4 million in the third quarter of fiscal 2011. Gross profit margin was 21.7% for the third quarter of fiscal 2012, as compared to 35.9% in the third quarter of fiscal 2011.
- Asset impairment charges estimated at $11.4 million for the third quarter of fiscal 2012 include non-cash asset impairment charges related to approximately 100 stores planned to close by January 2012 and non-cash asset impairment charges for stores the Company plans to continue to operate. The Company also recorded $0.8 million of severance charges related to closing stores and a reduction in force in October involving corporate office and field management personnel. No asset impairment or restructuring charges were recorded in the third quarter of fiscal 2011.
- Operating loss totaled $28.2 million which includes the asset impairment and restructuring charges referred to above. This compares to an operating loss of $0.2 million in the third quarter of fiscal 2011, which included a pre-tax severance charge of approximately $1.0 million related to the separation of the Company’s former Chief Executive Officer.
- Net loss totaled $28.2 million, or $0.79 per share, for the third quarter, which includes $12.2 million, or $0.34 per share, of restructuring charges and the estimated asset impairment charges. This compares to a net loss of $9.2 million, or $0.26 per diluted share, for the third fiscal quarter of 2011, which included a non-cash charge resulting from recording a $12.9 million, or $0.36 per share, valuation allowance related to the Company’s deferred tax assets and a pre-tax severance charge of approximately $1.0 million, or $0.02 per share.
Larry Barenbaum, Chief Executive Officer, commented, “We were clearly disappointed in the results for the quarter. In response to the slow sell-through, we aggressively promoted merchandise to drive customer purchasing and move through seasonal inventory, which resulted in significant erosion of our gross margins. We expect that these challenges and merchandise margin pressures will continue in the fourth quarter given that we still need to work through current product. Looking ahead, we remain focused on completing our previously announced store closing plan, disciplined inventory management and expense controls, and improved product execution.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV