News. Corp. CEO Rupert Murdoch got hit in the face with a pie. Nuff said.
3. Rupert Pays The Pie-per -- published July 22, 2011
Dear readers, in all seriousness, it's not always easy finding Dumbest items to fill our list every week. We know it sounds crazy considering the sheer amount of silliness that emanates from Wall Street, but there are indeed periods in which nothing out-of-the-ordinary occurs and as a result we are often forced to dig deep for material.
On the other hand, sometimes the stupidity just hits you -- or in this case, News Corp. (NWSA) CEO Rupert Murdoch -- like a pie in the face.For those cave-dwellers or orbiting astronauts who missed it, a comedian who goes by the name of Johnnie Marbles slapped the beleaguered media mogul in the face with a shaving cream pie while he was testifying about phone-hacking in front of a Culture, Media and Sport Committee hearing in London on Tuesday. Murdoch's wife Wendi Deng Murdoch stood up and tried to protect her husband from the man, who was then escorted out of the room by police officers. "Mr. Murdoch, your wife has a very good left hook," said Labour lawmaker Tom Watson before returning the proceedings to order. Yes, that actually happened. And no, we could not make it up such foolishness even if we were so hard-pressed for content that we had to. Clearly, the episode was a career highlight (or perhaps lowlight) for Marbles who tweeted before the attack that "it is a far better thing that I do now than I have ever done before #splat". Having never seen Mr. Marbles's comedy act, we can't confirm or deny that this was his best work to date. But we can safely say that his insane outburst sure made our work this week a whole lot easier and for this we thank him.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV