Ahead of the final run into the holidays, many stores are planning to be open for days straight in an effort to sell more electronics, clothes and certainly toys. The push to get as many shoppers through the holiday is building a large amount of anticipation of really nice holiday sales. This may or may not happen, but the market is rallying like it will. If this is true one of the real winners will be the world's largest toy maker Mattel (MAT). With consumer spending on the rise and the last-minute push, MAT will be able to not only sell Barbie dolls, but also the Barbie dream house and accessories. All great high margin stuff.
Let's review the T3/OP video with Jill and Scott for the fundamental and technical trade before getting into the options strategy:
Looking at the options, much to my surprise, MAT hit its lowest implied volatility level in over a year yesterday. This makes us want to be a buyer. Looking at the stock, it has been on a slow oscillating rally and has just bounced off of support. I think the stock testing $30 is entirely possible. With IV this low we can buy the 28 calls, the ATM's for about $0.65. From a cost and volatility perspective and the risk/reward profile, I think these calls are a steal if our premise that MAT is going up is correct. MAT options simply do not sit at 20% volatility for very long.
For those less sure the IV is so cheap a straddle would even be likely to win. That said, I lean bullish on the stock and like buying the January calls.
Trade: With MAT trading $27.99, buy to open MAT January 28 calls for $0.65.
This content brought to you by TheStreet's OptionsProfits. CLICK HERE FOR A 14-DAY FREE TRIAL.
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits
Mark can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionPit
T3Live can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/_t3Live_
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV