NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Shares of Bed Bath & Beyond (BBBY) fell in late trades Wednesday after the Union, N.J.-based specialty retailer beat Wall Street's profit view for its latest quarter but came in slightly below expectations on the top line.
For the three months ended Nov. 26, the company posted a profit of $228.5 million, or 95 cents a share, on sales of $2.34 billion with same-store sales rising 4.1%. The average estimate of analysts polled by
Thomson Reuters was for earnings of 88 cents a share on revenue of $2.35 billion in the November-ended period.
Bed Bath & Beyond also said it sees earnings of $1.28 to $1.33 a share for its fiscal fourth quarter ending in February and $3.86 to $3.92 a share for the full year. The current consensus estimate is for earnings of $1.30 a share in the fourth quarter.
The stock was last quoted at $59.15, down 3.7%, on volume of more than 400,000, according to Nasdaq.com. Based on Wednesday's regular session close at $61.43, the shares were up more than 25% so far in 2011.
Micron TechnologyA much deeper than expected quarterly loss sent shares of Micron Technology (MU) ticking lower in Wednesday's extended session. For the three months ended Dec. 1, Micron posted a loss of $187 million, or 19 cents a share, on revenue of $2.09 billion. The loss was wider than its fiscal fourth-quarter loss of $135 million, or 14 cents a share, as well as beyond the average estimate of analysts polled by Thomson Reuters for a loss of 8 cents a share in the latest period on revenue of $2.13 billion. Gross margins were 15% in the first quarter with improvements in margins for NAND flash memory products offset by softness in DRAM
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV