NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Raymond James Financial (RJF) has resumed talks to buy Regions Financials' (RF) Morgan Keegan brokerage unit, after an exclusivity period with Stifel Financial (SF) has expired, according to Bloomberg reports citing unnamed sources.
News that bid's for Morgan Keegan aren't exclusive signal that a sale of the Memphis, Tenn.-based brokerage may become increasingly competitive. In August, Reuters reported that private equity firm's the Blackstone Group (BX), Apollo Global Management (APO), the Carlyle Group and TPG Capital were also interested bidders.
Regions Financial is looking to shed Morgan Keegan in an effort to repay bailout funds taken by the bank during the financial crisis.
In November, Bloomberg reported that Regions Financial was in exclusive talks to sell the Morgan Keegan brokerage to Stifel Financial. With Morgan Keegan, Stifel would have one of the largest brokerages in the U.S. with nearly 3,000 brokers and would be the largest takeover for Stifel, which has been acquisitive in recent years.Regions Financial put Morgan Keegan up for sale in June as it tries to raise capital to repay the U.S. Treasury's preferred-share investment in the Alabama -based company. Currently, Regions is one of the largest remaining TARP recipients and is still struggling with its capitalization Regions Financial shares are off nearly 40% year-to-date. Nine months into 2011, the company is on track to earn its first annual profit since the onset of the financial crisis. In 2008, Regions lost a record $5.6 billion. -- Written by Antoine Gara in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV