NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- 2011 was a good year for the health care sector.
According to data from S&P Capital IQ, the group was one of only two sectors out of 10 major categories within the S&P 1200 to deliver positive returns on both a price and total return (including dividends etc.) basis, rising 8% and 11.2%. The other was consumer staples.
The slate gets wiped clean in a few days, however, and 2012 brings a whole new set of challenges. One of the biggest of those is the Supreme Court case examining President Obama's health care plan.
Oral arguments in the case are expected to be heard in March with a decision seen coming toward the end of June. The main issue for the court is the portion of the law that states individuals must be covered by 2014 or face a penalty.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV