Europe's Sovereign Debt Crisis; DSK's Scandal
Europe's sovereign debt crisis seized global stock markets for the good part of 2011. Debt problems that started in Greece spread to larger players on the Continent, namely Italy, Spain and France. Portugal became the third eurozone country to seek and receive aid in April. The eurozone also approved further bailout money for Greece in the summer as the country faced an imminent default.
By September, fears escalated that Italy would be next to ask for assistance. The euro fell below $1.30 and hovered just a bit above that. Sovereign borrowing costs across the eurozone surged with Italian 10-year bond yields spiking dangerously to unsustainable levels. By the fall, major ratings agencies warned of a possible mass downgrade to credit ratings in the region.Because Germany is the lone player of the eurozone that can provide credible funding that would resolve the crisis, the country faced intensifying pressure to make sacrifices for what it viewed as its profligate neighbors.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV