NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Positive economic data for the U.S. housing sector and brighter signals from Europe offered markets a glimmer of hope this Tuesday. The U.S. Commerce Department released better-than-expected November housing data with builders breaking ground for nearly 685,000 homes, up 9.3% from October and 24.3% in November 2010, surpassing economists' expectations. Building permits were up 5.7% from the previous month.
At close Tuesday, the S&P 500 Index (SPXINDEX) gained 2.98%, while the S&P 500 Home Building Sub-Industry Index (S5HOME INDEX) edged forward by 7.01%, beating the main index. Stocks like, PulteGroup (PHM), KB Home (KBH) and Meritage Homes (MTH) advanced 10.4, 10.1% and 9.2%, respectively, in a single-day trade Tuesday.
The Architecture Billings Index rose to 52 in November from 49.4 in October, according to the American Institute of Architect. The National Association of Home Builders expects sentiment to buoy for the third straight month in December.
Based on average estimates of analysts surveyed by Bloomberg, these stocks have upsides ranging from 5% to 40%. The buy recommendation and hold guidance for these stocks is 62% and 30%, respectively.The stocks are listed in ascending order of upside potential.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV