CarMax, Inc. (NYSE:KMX) today reported results for the third quarter ended November 30, 2011.
- Net sales and operating revenues increased 7% to $2.26 billion from $2.12 billion in the third quarter of last year.
- Comparable store used unit sales declined 3% in the third quarter compared with a 16% increase in the prior year period.
- Total used unit sales decreased 1%.
- Total wholesale unit sales increased 13%.
- CarMax Auto Finance (CAF) income rose 12% to $62.6 million.
- Net income was $82.8 million, or $0.36 per diluted share, compared with $82.4 million, or $0.36 per diluted share, earned in the third quarter of fiscal 2011.
Third Quarter Business Performance Review
“We are pleased to report another quarter of strong profits, despite a difficult sales comparison and the continued sluggish economy,” said Tom Folliard, president and chief executive officer. “We remain committed to investing in our long-term growth strategy. We now plan to open 10 stores in fiscal 2013 and are pleased to announce our plan to open between 10 and 15 stores per year during each of the following three fiscal years.”
Sales . We believe the 3% decline in comparable store used units resulted from several factors, including our toughest sales comparison in many quarters and the continuation of weak economic conditions and low consumer confidence for much of the third quarter. Our average used vehicle selling price remained higher than the prior year, reflecting the continuing effect of the tight supply of late-model used vehicles on our acquisition costs. However, average retails have begun to moderate from earlier this year due to shifts in mix, as well as recent declines in industry wholesale pricing.Wholesale unit sales increased 13% compared with the third quarter of fiscal 2011. Similar to the last several quarters, our wholesale volumes benefited from a strong increase in appraisal traffic.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV