The Redwood Shores, Calif.-based company experienced a 10% year-over-year decline in hardware systems revenue in the latest quarter as well as flat services revenue for its fiscal second quarter ended Nov. 30.
Overall, Oracle posted non-GAAP earnings of $2.8 billion, or 54 cents a share, in the latest quarter with revenue rising 2% from last year to $8.8 billion. The average estimate of analysts polled by Thomson Reuters was for earnings of 57 cents a share in the November quarter on revenue of $9.23 billion.
The stock was last quoted at $26.48, down 9.2%, on after-hours volume of 4.6 million, according to Nasdaq.com.Oracle also said its board has approved an additional $5 billion buyback authorization.
NikeShares of Nike (NKE) edged up in the extended session after the maker of athletic footwear and apparel delivered a solid beat for its second-quarter results and said futures orders were up 13%. The Beaverton, Ore.-based company said strong demand for its brands with revenue up 18% year-over-year and lower selling, general and administrative expenses for its above-consensus performance. These factors offset a decline in gross margins to 42.7% in the latest quarter from 45.3% last year because of higher product costs. Nike reported earnings of $469 million, or $1 per share, for the three months ended Nov. 30 on revenue of 5.73 billion. That compares to the average estimate of analysts polled by Thomson Reuters for a profit of 97 cents a share in the November-ended period on revenue of $5.63 billion. The stock was last quoted at $94.67, up 1.1%, on late volume of nearly 300,000, according to Nasdaq.com. Nike said its inventories swelled 35% year-over-year to $3.2 billion, and that worldwide futures orders of its products for deliver in the December through April 2012 timeframe stood at $8.9 billion, up 13% from last year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV