WINDERMERE, Fla. (Stockpickr) -- Stocks are soaring today after investors cheered some better-than-expected U.S. housing numbers and uplifting economic news out of the troubled eurozone.
At last check, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was soaring by a whopping 280 points and the S&P 500 was up over 30 points. The tech-heavy Nasdaq was spiking higher by over 70 points.
The Commerce Department released better-than-expected housing starts in November that showed a 9.3% jump to 685,000, up from the revised October estimate of 627,000 and better than the Wall Street forecast of 630,000 from economists surveyed by Thomson Reuters.
2012 Stock Predictions and Outlook
|Your one-stop shop for 2012 stock recommendations and market predictions.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV