Ameriprise Financial (AMP) is showing traders a more directional setup right now. Shares of the $10.5 billion financial services firm have gotten dragged down alongside the rest of the industry in 2011, tumbling more than 19% year-to-date, but this stock is showing signs of a bottom right now.
More precisely, that bottom came in early October, when Ameriprise mirrored new lows being set in the broad market. Since then, shares have bounced higher to form an inverse head-and-shoulders setup, a pattern that indicates exhaustion among sellers. In Ameriprise, the buy signal comes on a breakout above the pattern's neckline at $48. While it's a short-term pattern, the trading implications look strong in this name going into 2012.
RSI is confirming the upside bias in Ameriprise right now. A break of the RSI trendline would be an early warning signal to watch for a sell signal in Ameriprise. In the mean time, it makes sense to keep a protective stop just under the right shoulder at 44.I also featured Ameriprise, which shows up on a list of 5 Cash-Rich, Low P/E Stocks, in "7 Dividend Stocks Shoveling Cash to Shareholders."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV