NEW YORK ( TheStreet) - Red Hat (RHT) CEO Jim Whitehurst said the company has been so successful in open source software because of its vast army of engineers and because it places support behind its releases.
"We have a team of engineers that are behind supporting open source, and we are able to monetize the support and customer service," Whitehurst said in an interview Tuesday.
|Red Hat CEO Jim Whitehurst|
"Red Hat has been successful in open source where others have not because when we release a new system every two years, we pledge to support it for 10 years," Whitehurst noted.
The Raleigh, N.Cc-based company reported earnings earnings Monday that beat Wall Street estimates; it also raised fourth-quarter and full-year guidance.On the conference call following the release of the earnings, Red Hat said it expected fourth-quarter revenue in the range of $289 million to $292 million. It expects earnings of 26 cents to 27 cents a share. Wall Street's current consensus view is for a profit of 26 cents a share in the quarter on revenue of $292.5 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV