Update: Please submit your own 2012 biotech stock predictions at the end of this story.
BOSTON (TheStreet) -- Ten biotech predictions for 2012:
1. The Amgen (AMGN) strategy of returning cash to shareholders in form of share buybacks, Dutch tender offers and dividends is abandoned in favor of ramped up acquisitions i.e. Gilead Sciences (GILD) buying Pharmasset (VRUS). Large-cap biotech firms start acting like Big Pharma -- choosing to buy growth instead of seeking it from internal drug development.
2. After much wrangling, lawmakers pass important PDUFA V legislation but it's amended to prohibit FDA from issuing drug approval decisions on Friday evenings.3. Cancer immunothera-flop: Phase III cancer "vaccine" studies being run by Merck KGaA and Oncothyreon (ONTY) (Stimuvax in non-small cell lung cancer) and Vical (VICL) (Allovectin in melanoma) both fail. The only positive clinical news in cancer immunotherapy in 2012 will come from GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) with its Mage-A3 therapy, in phase III for melanoma. 4. By the end of the year, one or more of these companies will be gobbled up in an M&A deal: Seattle Genetics (SGEN), Celgene (CELG), Biomarin Pharmaceuticals (BMRN), Amag Pharma (AMAG), Onyx Pharma (ONXX), Momenta Pharma (MNTA) 5. Cell Therapeutics (CTIC) exits 2012 the same way it started -- with pixantrone still not approved anywhere. The only changes at the company will be to its share count and executive compensation -- both higher; and stock price -- lower. 6. Roche (RHHBY) doesn't buy Aeterna Zentaris (AEZS) despite a half-dozen additional Seeking Alpha articles penned by "Jeremy Richards" claiming otherwise. 7. Leucovorin shortages end, so too does Spectrum Pharma's (SPPI) fairytale ride. 8. Vertex Pharma's (VTX) cystic fibrosis drug Kalydeco will be approved. More importantly, studies testing Kalydeco combined with other Vertex's cystic fibrosis drugs will show strong benefit in a larger swath of patients. Vertex becomes a cystic fibrosis company. Hepatitis C? What's that? 9. FDA rejects obesity drugs from Arena Pharmaceuticals (ARNA) and Vivus (VVUS) for a second time. 10. Celgene (CELG) will be the best-performing large-cap (market cap greater than $10 billion) biotech stock in 2012. Happy 2012! If you have predictions of your own for the coming year, please share in the comments section below. Here's a look back at how well my 2011 predictions fared: 1. Cell Therapeutics will increase its share count to 2 billion, followed by a 60:1 reverse stock split. Pixantrone still isn't approved. Correct. My numbers were off a bit. Cell Therapeutics didn't bloat its share count quite that high but came close. Pixantrone still not approved.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV