Retro Toys and Games Making a Comeback
BOSTON (MainStreet) -- Everything old is new again.
At least that seems to be the case as, once again, toys and games from the past have been reborn for a younger generation this holiday season.
Scholastic (SCHL), the world's largest publisher and distributor of children's books, recently released its holiday edition of the Scholastic Kids Trend Report, a holiday guide to what books, games and toys are hot with kids up to 12 years old."We hear from children, teachers and experts that although high-tech toys continue to be the most popular with kids of all ages, retro is making a comeback," sys Sara Sinek, a Scholastic "trendspotter." "Kids are discovering toys and crafts from their parent's era and are adding them to their holiday wish lists this year," Sinek says. Toy makers and distributors have long been aware of what Hasbro (HAS) refers to as the power of a "portfolio of iconic bands." Among that company's best-sellers were some very old and recognizable names: Nerf, G.I. Joe, Strawberry Shortcake and My Little Pony. The company has also benefited from the ever-popular line of Star Wars-related action figures and yet another wave of movie-fueled demand for Transformers. Other staples of toy boxes over the decades have been Hot Wheels, Barbie, LEGOs and Cabbage Patch Kids. The National Retail Federation's 2011 Top Toys survey, conducted by BIGresearch, confirms what's popular this year includes the classic and contemporary. "Holiday toy trends change like the weather, but one thing remains constant: children's love of both classic toys and all things electronic," says NRF President and CEO Matthew Shay. According to industry lists such as the one offered by Scholastic and a survey of toy department shelves and circulars, the following are some of the retro toys that are back and in demand this Christmas:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV