10 Best Funds for Long-Term Investors
NEW YORK (TheStreet Ratings) -- TheStreet.com Ratings reviews the risk-adjusted return performance of around 25,000 funds every month. Most long-term investors saving for retirement would like to have the confidence that at least a portion of their portfolio should keep up with the market.
The returns of actively managed mutual funds vary widely in both the positive and negative directions. So, it is not surprising that our list of the best passively managed S&P 500 Index funds all rank in the 'Hold' range for risk-adjusted return.
Here are the 10 best S&P 500 Index funds for long-term investors:
10. Nuveen Equity Index INuveen Equity Index I (FEIIX) seeks to provide investment results that correspond to the performance of the S&P 500 Index. It invests at least 90% of its net assets in common stocks included in the S&P 500 Index. The S&P 500 Index is an unmanaged market value weighted index consisting of 500 stocks chosen for market size, liquidity, sector performance and other factors. The advisor of the fund believes that the fund objective can best be achieved by investing in common stocks of approximately 90% to 100% of the issues included in the S&P 500 Index. Expense Ratio: 0.36% Load: 0.00% Rated "C+" by TheStreet Ratings:
9. CA S&P 500 Index DirectCA S&P 500 Index Direct (SPFIX) seeks to replicate the total return of the U.S. stock market as measured by the S&P 500 Composite Stock Price Index. The fund includes the common stocks of 500 leading U.S. companies from a broad range of industries. The fund invests in the stocks that make up the index so that the weighting of each stock in the portfolio approximates the index. The fund invests at least 80 percent of its total assets in the underlying stocks of the index. The fund may invest in futures contracts and lend securities. Expense Ratio: 0.36% Load: 0.00% Rated "C+" by TheStreet Ratings:
8. GE Institutional S&P 500 Index SvcGE Institutional S&P 500 Index Svc (GIDSX) seeks growth of capital and accumulation of income that corresponds to the investment return of the S&P 500 composite stock index. The fund invests at least 80% of its net assets in equity securities of companies contained in the S&P 500 Index. The manager seeks to replicate the return of the S&P 500 Index while holding transaction costs low and minimizing portfolio turnover. The portfolio manager may use statistical selection to determine which securities within the S&P 500 Index to purchase or sell for the fund. The fund may invest to a lesser extent in debt securities, foreign securities and other securities that are not in the S&P 500 Index.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV