Editor's note: As part of our partnership with PBS's Nightly Business Report, TheStreet's Jill Malandrino will appear on NBR Monday (check local listings) to discuss why fertilizer stocks could help your portfolio grow in 2012.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Commodities are slumping into the end of the year, overshadowed by the European sovereign debt concerns weighing on global growth and lessening demand for raw materials. But as corn enters 2012 with lower stockpiles and resilient demand, there are reasons to be bullish.
Not all commodities are poised to move higher, but there are some bright spots, and that is why I am planting myself in the fertilizer space for 2012, with Mosaic (MOS) as my top pick.
So, what does the rising price of corn mean? Wouldn't higher commodity costs hurt agricultural names? Not in the case of the fertilizer space. This is a true global supply-and-demand story of "stuff" and consumption, and fundamentals have never been better.
Many investors try to draw parallels between the macro concerns that have led to the extreme stock-market volatility of recent weeks and those that were prevalent in 2008, but I believe such comparisons are unwarranted for fertilizer shares.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV