ANCHORAGE, Alaska, Dec. 19, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- General Communication, Inc. announced the launch of 4G wireless service in the Fairbanks area today, further expanding its 4G network footprint. GCI was the first to bring the technology to Alaska when they launched in Anchorage in September and has an aggressive rollout plan that will soon expand the technology to other Alaska communities.
GCI's 4G, or fourth generation wireless technology, allows Alaskans to surf the Internet, watch videos, social network and work without the delays experienced on competing networks. The new 4G service is capable of download speeds rated up to 21 Megabits per second, with typical speeds more than 10 times faster than current network speeds.
"GCI has long been the company Alaskans turn to for innovation and high-speed broadband," said Paul Landes, GCI senior vice president, consumer services. "GCI users in the Fairbanks area will now have access to some of the most advanced wireless technology in the world."
In order to use the 4G network, users must have a 4G compatible phone, a new GCI SIM card and associated GCI data plan. Learn how to upgrade to GCI's 4G wireless network online at www.gci.com.GCI offers three 4G phones in Fairbanks. The Samsung Galaxy SII has the largest high definition screen available. The LG Optimus 3D lets you shoot & watch photos and video in 3D. The Sony Xperia Play puts PlayStation in the palm of your hand with a slide-out gaming pad. GCI (Nasdaq: GNCMA) is an Alaska-based integrated communications provider and the second largest wireless provider in Alaska. As a pioneer in bundled services, GCI provides local, long distance and wireless telephone, cable television, Internet and data communications services throughout Alaska. For more information, visit www.GCI.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV