PHILADELPHIA, Dec. 19, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Aberdeen Asset Management Asia Limited announced today that it assumed investment management responsibility for The India Fund, Inc. (NYSE: IFN; "The India Fund" or the "Fund") from Blackstone Asia Advisors L.L.C., the Fund's former investment manager. The India Fund is a closed-end investment company with current total assets of $951.5 million (as of November 30, 2011) and its investment objective is long-term capital appreciation by investing primarily in Indian equity securities. There can be no assurance the Fund will achieve its investment objective.
Expertise in Asia "We are truly delighted to assume responsibility for The India Fund. We look forward to bringing our long-established expertise of investing in India to the Fund's shareholders," says Hugh Young, Managing Director and Head of Aberdeen Asian Equities, an affiliate of Aberdeen Asset Management Asia Limited. " Aberdeen established its presence in Asia in 1991 when we set up our Asian regional headquarters in Singapore and we have expanded our capabilities throughout the region ever since. Our investment managers have visited nearly 120 Indian companies in 2011 alone and the benefits of that in-depth company due diligence are part of what we can bring to The India Fund shareholders."
Aberdeen Asset Management PLC ("Aberdeen") is the parent company of the asset management group managing assets for both institutional and private clients from offices around the world. Aberdeen Asset Management Asia Limited, based in Singapore and a subsidiary of Aberdeen, is the Fund's manager. Aberdeen's Asian operations include more than 150 investment professionals based in Singapore, Sydney, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur and Hong Kong.Leader in Emerging Market Closed-End FundsAberdeen's subsidiaries (the "Aberdeen Group") have managed U.S. registered closed-end funds since December of 2000. In addition to being one of the largest pure stand-alone asset management houses investing in the Asia-Pacific region, Aberdeen Group is the largest manager of emerging market closed-end funds offered around the world by both value and number. With the addition of The India Fund, Inc., the Aberdeen Group now directly manages eleven U.S. exchange-listed closed-end funds, one Canadian investment company, and serves as investment sub-advisor to two other closed-end funds managed by First Trust Advisors L.P. Aberdeen's closed-end funds available to North American investors are:
- Aberdeen Asia-Pacific Income Fund, Inc. (NYSE AMEX: FAX)
- Aberdeen Asia-Pacific Income Investment Company Limited (TSX: FAP)
- Aberdeen Australia Equity Fund, Inc. (NYSE AMEX: IAF)
- Aberdeen Chile Fund, Inc. (NYSE AMEX: CH)
- Aberdeen Emerging Markets Telecommunications and Infrastructure Fund, Inc. (NYSE AMEX: ETF)
- Aberdeen Global Income Fund, Inc. (NYSE AMEX: FCO)
- Aberdeen Indonesia Fund, Inc. (NYSE AMEX: IF)
- Aberdeen Israel Fund, Inc. (NYSE AMEX: ISL)
- Aberdeen Latin America Equity Fund, Inc. (NYSE AMEX: LAQ)
- First Trust /Aberdeen Global Opportunity Income Fund, Inc. (NYSE AMEX: FAM)
- First Trust /Aberdeen Emerging Opportunity Fund, Inc. (NYSE AMEX: FEO)
- The Asia Tigers Fund, Inc. (NYSE: GRR)
- The India Fund, Inc. (NYSE: IFN)
- The Singapore Fund, Inc. (NYSE: SGF)
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.