Blue-Chip Dividend Stocks: Buy Like SVAAX
Many academic researchers have argued that dividends can be crucial, accounting for 40% of all the total returns delivered by markets. But Peris takes a more extreme position, arguing that dividends account for about 90% of returns. To make the case, he cites data from economist Robert Shiller.
According to the Shiller data, stocks returned 9.8% annually from 1926 through 2010. Of the total returns, 4.2 percentage points came from dividends and 5.6 percentage points were due to share appreciation.
Seeing the numbers, some researchers argue that share appreciation is more important than dividends, and investors should focus on investing to obtain capital gains. But Peris says that dividends grew at an annual rate of 4.4%. He says that the dividend growth is the main factor contributing to share appreciation.
"If a company raises its distribution of profits, then the value of the business goes up," he says.Because dividends are so important, investors should focus on obtaining them, Peris says. Companies that pay rich dividends tend to be disciplined businesses that deliver strong total returns.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV