Dendreon (DNDN) CEO Mitch Gold, who was voted the Best Biotech CEO in 2010 by TheStreet's readers, had a nightmare of a 2011. He mispriced Provenge, overestimated patient demand for the cancer immunotherapy and was wholly unprepared to deal effectively with the inevitable reimbursement concerns and questions that come with a new and novel therapy, TheStreet's Adam Feuerstein points out. 37% of the nearly 1900 voters thought he was the worst biotech CEO in 2011, with shares tanking 78% year-to-date.
Bank stocks were universally in the dumps in 2011. But Bank of America (BAC) CEO Brian Moynihan took a lot of heat this year. A lot of problems that Bank of America is facing such as a weak economy and macro-economic uncertainty is not under Moynihan's control and he can hardly be blamed for the Countrywide disaster that he inherited from his predecessors.
But Moynihan has struggled to manage shareholder expectations. The bank underestimated its likely legal losses from its mortgage exposure, so much so that many analysts have given up trying to come up with an estimate. Moynihan has also talked from both sides of the mouth, constantly telling investors the bank does not need capital, yet continuing to raise money and dilute shareholders in an attempt to put market concerns to rest.
This is just the initial list. Vote on our poll and let us know what you think. Leave your comments on who else you think deserves to be on the list. You can also join the conversation on Facebook and Twitter .
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Shanthi Bharatwaj. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/shavenk. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV