Gingrich vs. Gingrich: Dissecting the Gingrich Persona
The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Newt Gingrich is widely known as a smart guy with big ideas. Many who are unhappy with today's government like Gingrich's "in-your-face" pugnacity. But he is also under attack from former Republican colleagues -- those who know him best.
As of Dec. 12, no U.S. senator had endorsed Gingrich -- Romney had nine. They are not attacking his positions; they are attacking his personality. Gingrich does not try to deny the accusations. He says that he has changed. But is that likely?
What do colleagues say about Newt?1. He enjoys throwing firebombs. Wall Street Journal columnist Peggy Noon describes Gingrich as, "a human hand grenade who walks around with his hand on the pin saying, "Watch this!" Case-in-point was Gingrich's announcement on Meet the Press that Paul Ryan's health care proposal was "right wing social engineering." He provided no explanation for the charge and later apologized.
What makes Newt, Newt?Power. According to the late Harvard professor David McClellan, humans are motivated by: achievement, affiliation and power. Those high in achievement typically golf with a scorecard because, as everyone knows, "the purpose of golf is to win." Golfers high in affiliation are offended by scorecards because, "the purpose of golf is to deepen personal relationships." Those high in power do not care about scorecards because, "the purpose of golf is to strengthen professional networks." All three play golf, but for different reasons.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV