Orenbuch sees the upcoming release of the Federal Reserve's "stress test," results as "a positive catalyst for the bank group."
Orenbuch argues JPMorgan "has the flexibility for both an increased dividend and share repurchase" as the company approaches [Basel 3] capital targets."
He also sees it as likely that Citigroup will be able to begin returning capital to shareholders, which, even though "somewhat more modest" than JPMorgan's should give the shares a lift."It will highlight the company's strengthened balance sheet and capital generation, despite a discounted valuation," Orenbuch writes of Citigroup. Orenbuch also expressed bullishness on U.S. Bancorp (USB), grouping it with Citigroup and JPMorgan as among "the banks positioned to be most successful in terms of bottom line earnings growth" because they can "grow loans, effectively manage expenses and deploy capital." Orenbuch has an "outperform" rating on all three banks. Orenbuch also has an outperform on Bank of America (BAC) despite the fact that he dropped his price target to $11 from $13 "While near-term revenue headwinds continue [Bank of America] has significant opportunities to accelerate revenue growth in 2012 by re-pricing. In addition, we see opportunities to improve capital and book value through optimizing the balance sheet. Streamlining of businesses could lead to further strategic dispositions and asset run-off," Orenbuch writes. >>To see these stocks in action, visit the Top Bank Stocks for 2012 From Credit Suisse portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Dan Freed in New York. Follow this writer on Twitter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV