With nearly 1,700 stores under its banner, Safeway (SWY), one of TheStreet Ratings' top-rated food and staples stocks, weighs in as one of the largest grocery retailers in the country. And in spite of inflationary margin squeeze and hefty competition, it's a business that's remained reasonably strong in 2011.
Safeway has embraced the big changes in the grocery business, pushing out a successful private label initiative and a nearly $4.5 billion investment in outfitting its stores to compete with new rivals. While that's resulted in a large debt load, it's also kept shoppers pushing their carts through Safeway's aisles.Even though Safeway's net margins are paper thin, they've been slowly trending higher for most of 2011 -- a testament to management's ability to counter the creep of commodity costs against profitability. Dividends have long been an important part of Safeway's story, and at 2.82%, they remain a compelling reason to own shares of this stock. (Safeway is one of the highest-yielding retail stocks.) While capital investments haven't been cheap for Safeway, ample free cash flow generation should keep the income payouts flowing to owners for the foreseeable future. To see all of this week's Rocket Stocks in action, check out the Rocket Stocks portfolio at Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV