BOSTON (TheStreet) -- The biotech sector proved once again in 2011 that picking the right stocks to own (or trade) produced outsized profits.
Eleven biotech stocks more than doubled their value this year, producing returns well in excess of the 7% performance of the Nasdaq Biotechnology Index. The S&P 500 is down 3% this year.
Here are the five biggest drug-stock winners of 2011:
No. 5: Pharmacyclics (PCYC)Investors who clued into the potential of Pharmacyclics' experimental B-cell lymphoma drug PCI-32765 last year were rewarded big time this year when Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) paid handsomely to secure licensing rights to the drug in December. The stock: Pharmacyclics is up 140% this year through Dec. 16. The stock's performance this year, particularly two strong runs in the spring and late fall, illustrate how investors love to buy biotech stocks ahead of big drug research meetings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV