Anything made by Stuart Hughes
Back when The Simple Life-era Paris Hilton was bedazzling her mobile devices, maybe a gem-encrusted or gilded piece of electronics was a great pickup.
These days a $7.7 million Apple (AAPL) iPad 2 dipped in 24-carat gold, encrusted with 12.5 carats of diamonds, sprinkled with 750 grams of 75 million-year-old ammolite, dusted with 57 grams of shaved Tyrannosaurus Rex thigh bone and topped with an 8.5-carat diamond just seems a bit excessive. Really, do you need that much ground T-Rex bone to accent a game of Words With Friends?
Hughes' creations harken back to a time nigh on 12 years ago when folks with money could play Louis XIV and gild any damned thing they liked and put it right on display in the public square. Want a $42 million bottle of limoncello with 13 carats of diamonds around the neck and an 18.5-carat diamond embedded in the label? You can pick it up and take it to Alinea by the weekend. A $466,000 18-carat gold Nintendo Wii? The Wii U will make it obsolete by next year, but why not?Even if holiday shoppers do their best to keep it modest and restrict themselves to a $12,000 Nokia (NOK) E71 old-school Symbian smartphone, the recipient might feel just a bit silly calling the temp agency from a phone ringed with three-carat diamonds.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV