To add Ross Stores fourth-quarter guidance.
BOSTON (TheStreet) -- The 2011 top performers on the S&P 500 Index of the largest U.S. stocks is an eclectic group, but two oil and gas companies are far and away the biggest winners, with gains of at least 81%.
The best-performing shares are worth a hard look from investors, since they've put up returns of at least 46% this year while swimming against a powerful current. Investors have fled stocks to move into bonds and even money market accounts, and turned their backs on anything that carriers risk.
As evidence of that, 288 of the S&P 500 member companies have handed investors losses this year. International crises, especially the eurozone's debt debacle, have scared off U.S. investors, contributing to the market's volatility as many jumped in and out of the market in reaction to the latest, often dramatic, headlines. As a result, the S&P 500 has been on a roller coaster this year, bottoming at 1,100 on Oct. 3, then rebounding 14% by the first week of December, including a surge of 7.4% between Nov. 25 and Dec. 2, the biggest weekly advance since 2009. But it's now down 1.4% on the year with two weeks to go. In inverse order of return, here are the S&P 500's 10 best-performing stocks of 2011:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV