NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Will Warren Buffett not rest until he convinces everyone that solar is a good investment?
For the second time this month, Warren Buffett's energy company, MidAmerican Energy, made an acquisition of a solar energy project being developed by First Solar (FSLR).
This time, it's a 49% stake in the Agua Caliente project already sold by First Solar to NRG Energy (NRG). Earlier this month, Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.B) energy subsidiary MidAmerican acquired First Solar's Topaz project.
These are the first two solar power plant purchases by Buffett's energy company, which is already one of the largest players domestically in wind energy. And so the headlines follow about how Buffett is finally stepping up to endorse solar energy, but please do not confuse an institutional investor like Berkshire Hathaway or its utility -- in making a project finance investment to generate a guaranteed revenue stream -- with a general endorsement of solar as an investable stock sector. These are two very different things.
|Warren Buffett's energy company buys into another solar project, but solar stocks still stink.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV