SPDR S&P Homebuilders ETF (XHB)
Last week was challenging for the homebuilders as looming market fears drove investors out of growth-correlated sectors. Looking to the week ahead, however, funds like XHB and the iShares Dow Jones U.S. Home Construction Index Fund (ITB) may be worth keeping an eye on.
This week's economic calendar lists a number of real estate-specific data points. Among the reports slated to be released include housing starts, existing home sales, and new home sales.
It will be interesting to see how these ETFs react to the data on the docket. Investors should stick to the sidelines here, however. The iShares Dow Jones Real Estate Index Fund (IYR) is a safer bet for housing bulls.iShares S&P North American Technology Software Index Fund (IGV) Software leaders and top IGV components RedHat (RHT) and Oracle (ORCL) will report their earnings this week. The two companies represent 13% of the fund's total assets. IGV has struggled along with other corners of the tech sector as macroeconomic headwinds drive investors away from risk. In recent weeks, however, the fund's inherently defensive nature has shown through. Over the past three month period, IGV has managed to noticeably outperform against fellow concentrated funds like iShares S&P North American Technology Multimedia Networking Index Fund (IGN) and SPDR S&P Semiconductor ETF (XSD). Written by Don Dion in Williamstown, Mass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV