Frank Mayer -- a partner in the Financial Services Practice Group of Pepper Hamilton LLP -- said that "the regulation of any asset as risk-free often distorts bank behavior to create systemic risk," pointing out that before the credit crisis, "there was similar treatment
Mayer added that another interesting point that will be discussed at length during the regulatory comment period is the definition of "sovereign debt," since euro zone members "are not necessarily in full control of their own monetary and fiscal policy."
The term "default" will also need to be more clearly defined, according to Mayer, since a country can have an "outright default," where they fail to pay interest on debt, or the country could simply start printing money, "which can be construed a type of default. "
Mayer said that the U.S. regulators' "CRC reliance is a starting point, since it is considered less subject to conflicts of interest," but that "under Dodd Frank, that the you have to monitor your own portfolio to do your own analysis. You are responsible for your balance sheet."Fitch Ratings on Thursday cut its ratings on eight "Global Trading and Universal Banks," including U.S. giants Bank of America (BAC), Goldman Sachs (GS) and Morgan Stanley (MS), as well as Deutsche Bank (DB), Barclays PLC (BCS), BNP Paribas (BNP) Societe Generale, and Credit Suisse (CS), saying that the group's "business models are particularly sensitive to the increased challenges the financial markets face," including "economic developments as well as a myriad of regulatory changes." -- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla. To contact the writer, click here: Philip van Doorn. To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV