One under-$10 stock that's setting up to trend significantly higher is Gevo (GEVO), a renewable chemicals and advanced biofuels company. This stock is down big so far in 2011, with shares off by over 60%.
If you take a look at the chart for Gevo, you'll see that this stock has dropped big from its July high of $18.75 to a recent low of $5.18 a share. Since hitting that low, the stock has started to rebound nicely and it has found some buying support between $5.18 and $5.35 a share. The upside volume was very strong off the news Thursday with 713,000 shares traded, which is well above its three-month average of 99,000 shares.Traders should now watch Gevo for a breakout trade if this stock can manage to sustain ahigh-volume move and close above its 50-day moving average of $7.07. Look for volume on any move above the 50-day that registers close to or above 99,000 shares. If we get that move, then this stock should setup to challenge its next significant overhead resistance levels at $8 to $10 a share in the near-term. You could be a buyer of Gevo off any weakness and simply place a stop just below either $5.35 or $5.18 a share. You could also buy off strength and get long once the 50-day is taken out with volume. I would use a stop just below the 50-day if get long off strength. It's worth noting that this is a heavily shorted stock with around 17% of the tradable float currently sold short by the bears. Look for the potential of a short-squeeze to develop if GEVO can get back above its 50-day with volume in the near future.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV