BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- In spite of the negative tenor that stocks have shown investors in 2011, it's been a strong year for dividend stocks. That may seem surprising, but the statistics do a better job of telling the whole story: While the S&P 500 is down 3.3% on the year as I write, the S&P 500 Dividend Aristocrats Index has already generated positive gains of 4.79%.
You read that right. Investing in a portfolio of stable dividends would have produced positive gains that knocked flight to quality investments, like treasuries, out of the water.
This quarter in particular, as investors have struggled with broad market price swings, S&P 500 constituents have paid out the biggest aggregate dividends in more than three years. That's a very positive trend considering the fact that corporate America is sitting on a record hoard of cash right now. While anxious investors flee from stocks, now's the perfect opportunity to find some dividend bargains in the broad market.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV