The settlement with Cameron follows settlements with MOEX and Anadarko Petroleum (APC), which was the most significant settlement to date, and at $4 billion was in line with industry expectations for Anadarko's 25% stake in the well. For BP, Friday marks a minor monetary victory in the oil spill war, and the big legal battles are far from over.
It's also pretty minor as far as oil spill fines in the news this week specifically, with the Brazilian federal prosecutor's office suing Chevron (CVX) and Transocean (RIG) earlier this week for $10.7 billion for a spill in Chevron's Frade field that is estimated at between 2,000 and 3,000 barrels of oil. BP is estimated to have spilled as much as 4 million barrels of oil in the Macondo disaster.
-- Written by Eric Rosenbaum from New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Eric Rosenbaum.Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV