Romney Snags Huge Endorsement
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley endorsed Mitt Romney on Friday in what could be a crucial gain for the former Massachusetts governor, who trails Newt Gingrich in primary polls there.
Haley had stood on the sidelines for most of the GOP race to the surprise of many voters and experts, who at one point predicted the South Carolina governor would support Gingrich.
"He is a conservative businessman who has spent his life working in the economy, and he understands exactly how jobs are created," Haley said in a statement. "He is not a creature of Washington, and he knows what it means to make decisions -- real decisions -- not simply cast a vote."Gingrich leads Romney by an average of almost 20 percentage points in South Carolina polls, as the former House speaker has run a decent campaign on the ground there, but Haley's endorsement could persuade many Republicans to change their minds. It won't hurt Romney to have the governor canvassing on his behalf in the state she leads. Romney's campaign said the presidential hopeful and Haley would host a rally on Friday and host two town hall meetings on Saturday. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. >Follow Joe Deaux on Twitter. Subscribe on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV