Wells Fargo Advantage Growth (SGRNX)
Performance: 5.6%, putting it in the top 1% in its large-growth category, with a three-year average annual return of 27%; 15-year average annual return of 9.2%.Fund Profile: Tom Ognar took over the fund in May 2002 and, since then through the third quarter, it had an 8% annualized return versus the 2.7% average for its peers. Ognar has wandered from the fund's mandate -- he has more than twice as many mid-caps and small-caps than others in its category, said Morningstar, which adds that "its ideal holding exhibits sustainable growth prospects, a record of solid financial health, trustworthy management, and a stock price that trades at a significant discount to the team's price target." Assets: $7.2 billion Top picks: Apple (AAPL), 6.7% of fund, up 20.5%; Whole Foods Market (WFMI), 2.8% of fund, up 34%; Kansas City Southern (KSU), 2.5% of fund, up 34%.
Vanguard Health Care Admiral Fund (VGHAX) Performance: up 6.9%, placing it in the top 8% of its fund category; three-year average annual return of 13.5%; 15-year average annual return of 12%. Fund Profile: Vanguard Health Care Admiral is the largest health-care-focused fund, with assets exceeding most of the others in the category combined. It holds stakes in all the largest drug and health-care firms, and the average market cap of the stocks it buys is $27 billion, more than twice the health-care category norm. Managers Ed Owens and Jean Hynes are value-conscious investors, says Morningstar, and "they spread their portfolio broadly across the sector but tilt toward less-expensive, out-of-favor areas." Assets: $20.6 billion Top picks: UnitedHealth Group (HUM), 4.3% of fund, up 34%; Abbott Laboratories (ABT), 3.7% of fund, up 17%; Humana (HUM), 2.3% of fund, up 58%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV