Sequoia Fund (SEQUX)
Performance: up 10.7%, putting it in the top 1% of large-blend funds; three-year annualized return of 16.6%; 15-year average annual return of 9%.Fund Profile: Co-managers Robert Goldfarb and David Poppe run a 34-stock portfolio and "stick to companies with strong balance sheets and franchises," Morningstar said. The managers avoided the disasters in the financial sector, as the fund now has only 3% of assets in those stocks, which, in and of itself, has helped returns versus its peers. Assets: $4.7 billion Top picks: Valeant Pharmaceuticals (VRX), the fund's largest holding at 10%, up 62%; TJX Cos. (TJX), up 42%; Fastenal (FAST), up 37%. Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.B), down 5.7%.
Federated Strategic Value Dividend Fund (SVAAX) Performance: up 10.6%; three-year average annual return of 12%. Fund Profile: This large value fund pursues income and long-term capital appreciation by investing in high-yielding stocks of undervalued companies positioned to increase their dividends over time. Assets: $4.9 billion Top picks: Verizon (VZ), the largest holding at 3.9% of the fund, up 12.4%; Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY), 3.7% of the fund, up 32%; Vodafone (VOD), up 15%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV