NEW YORK (TheStreet) - Analysts expect these 10 mid-cap stocks to outperform the broader market. Analysts see these stocks from diverse sectors having upside potential ranging from 17% to 102%. Among analysts covering the stocks, an average of 74% have buy ratings.
The stocks are listed in ascending order of upside potential.
10. Smithfield Foods (SFD) sells a range of fresh meat and meat products.
Of the 18 analysts covering the stock, 56% recommend a buy and the rest suggest a hold. There are no sell ratings. On average, analysts' 12-month price target for the stock is $27.82, 17% higher than the current price, according to Bloomberg data.Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook. For the second quarter of fiscal 2012, revenue grew 10% to $3.3 billion from about $3 billion in second quarter prior fiscal. Packaged meat sales and core brand sales rose 7% and 10% year-over-year, respectively. Smithfield reported earnings of $120.7 million, or 74 cents per diluted share, vs. $143.7 million, or 86 cents per diluted share in the second quarter fiscal 2011. The company has repurchased $111 million worth stock and has repaid $115 million of long-term bonds, year to date. Smithfield expects robust global demand for pork during the second half of fiscal 2012, driven by higher demand worldwide, especially China. It forecasts sustainable hog production and targets overall volume growth of 3%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV