WESTCHESTER COUNTY, NY (TheStreet) -- Not every holiday purchase is a pleaser. In fact, for a myriad of reasons, holiday purchases are getting returned--and earlier--in record numbers. About 10 cents on every dollar purchased during the holiday season is returned...yet the chance of returns (and its eventual impact on the bottom line) is hardly mentioned in holiday shopping coverage of retailers from Amazon (AMZN) to Wal-Mart (WMT).
The Associated Press offered a primer that is, put simply, required reading. The headline serves as suitable warning: "Take that back! Returns spike this holiday; retailers worry." The rest of the article really puts the issue of returns in bold relief. The current retail environment, rife with sales, is causing frenzies in the aisles. Shoppers are getting home and they can't quite afford what they bought in their excitable state. They are not even waiting until January, the traditional season of the return.
This is not about disliking a gift. It's buyer's remorse, writ large. Moreover, the ease of comparison shopping online and through various phone applications means that (even after the fact) shoppers are finding cheaper alternatives. All the while, stores are facilitating returns with easier policies and fewer shipping fees.
In the end, returns are a gathering force in the retail industry--and not a force for good. When you read all the coverage of the holiday season that doesn't mention the early and often nature of returns, conjure up this Associated Press article in your mind.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV