Iconix Brand Group
Iconix Brand Group (ICON) is a small-cap apparel stock that's seen its shares slide more than 14% so far in 2011. When short-sellers smell blood in the water, they tend to pounce -- and pounce they have, ratcheting Iconix's short ratio up to 11.1.
Despite that shorting, there's reason to pay attention to the other side of this trade right now.While it's outwardly been a difficult environment for clothing manufacturers, some firms have been faring better than others. Iconix, for instance, has increased its revenue during each year of the recession, increasing sales by 108% between 2006 and the end of fiscal 2010. This year, the firm is on track to deliver double-digit growth once again. >>5 Earnings Stocks Poised to Pop Iconix is primarily a licensing firm, eschewing manufacturing and sticking to the higher-margin side of the apparel business. Clothing brands in the firm's portfolio include well known names such as Candie's, Mossimo, Joe Boxer, and Badgley Mischka. Iconix has slowly been chipping away at its debt load over the last few years, while building up a more comfortable cash position at the same time. That's provided the firm with an overall liquidity boost that investors should be appreciating right now. The firm's fourth-quarter earnings call in early 2012 could be a strong catalyst for a squeeze in share prices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV